5 from 1 vote
Autumn Freekeh Pilaf
Course Side Dish
Keyword Palestinian Products
Servings 4 servings
- 1 cup Equal Exchange Freekeh
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil divided
- ½ onion finely chopped
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ small butternut squash chopped into small cubes
- ¼ herbs like mint, basil, or a combination of both finely chopped
- ½ cup chopped or sliced almonds salted and roasted
- 3 Equal Exchange Medjool Dates chopped into small cubes
- ⅓ cup halloumi cheese chopped into small cubes
For the Dressing:
- 1/2 lemon juice of
- 1/4 cup Equal Exchange Olive Oil
- 1 Tbsp. za'atar
- 1 Tbsp honey
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. In a saucepan, melt 1 Tbsp. each butter and oil, add the onion and saute until the onion is soft and translucent. Add the freekeh, and stir some more, then add the broth, and salt and pepper to taste. Boil this mixture, then reduce heat, and simmer for 20–30 minutes (check on it to make sure all the liquid is absorbed, add more liquid if it dries too quickly).
Meanwhile, on a baking sheet, combine 1 Tbsp. olive oil, butternut squash, and season with salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes, or until slightly browned.
Once the freekeh has finished cooking, let cool for about 20 minutes before adding the herbs, dates, cheese, and butternut squash once it has finished roasting. In a jar, combine all the dressing ingredients and whisk with a fork. Pour dressing on the freekeh mixture, and gently incorporate. Top with almonds before serving warm or cold.
Recipe & photo courtesy of Blanche, feastinthemiddleeast.com.