October is Fair Trade Month, and there’s a lot to celebrate!
You already know that Fair Trade is important to farmers, communities and the planet, and that Equal Exchange’s partnerships help improve lives and land around the world. How will you showcase your support of better trade this month?
We have a few ideas to get you inspired and spreading the word about why Fair Trade matters.
- Kick off your celebration with fun recipes featuring fairly traded ingredients! Transform fall classics like brownies and muffins into creative Fair Trade treats for your friends, coworkers or classmates. Try using our baking cocoa, chocolate chips and dried fruits for a unique, delicious twist. Take a look at some of our favorite recipes, including Pumpkin Chocolate Muffins, Spiced Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies and Chocolate Covered Apples on a Stick!
- Brew an extra cup and share the Fair Trade experience. Try hosting a coffee hour or tea time featuring Equal Exchange. Brew up your favorite drink, whether it’s coffee from Ethiopia or tea from India, and share with friends at your home. You can talk about where it comes from, the importance of a healthy global community and how individuals can make it stronger. Bring your favorite blend of coffee to your office to share with coworkers, and let them know that supporting small farmers makes the world a better place.
- Hold a table sale for your congregation or community group, featuring all fairly traded foods and gifts. Fair Trade Month is a great opportunity to try a table sale for the first time, and even start generating interest for a Fair Trade holiday bazaar. Talk to your group about the positive impact their purchases make and start a conversation about living your values through everyday purchases. We can help you get started.
- Celebrate our producer partners by reading some of their inspirational stories. Many farmer co-ops have overcome serious obstacles, challenges and disadvantages. Every worker has strived to build successful businesses, stronger communities and better futures. Get to know their histories and day-to-day stories by checking out our blog.
- Fair Trade Your Halloween! October also brings us this fun and spooky holiday, and with it comes lots and lots of chocolate. This year, make sure your treats are Fair Trade. Hand out fairly traded Chocolate Minis to your neighborhood ghosts and goblins, and talk about why supporting an ethical chocolate industry is important for kids around the world. Our Halloween Kits will help you get started with fun info cards and delicious bite-sized Minis. You can also spread the word with a digital Trick-or-Treat for a chance to win weekly prizes!
How will you celebrate Fair Trade month? Share your ideas in the comments!
Want more ideas and creative ways to bring Fair Trade to your community? Sign up for our newsletter and be the first to hear about new products, recipes, farmer stories and sales.
About The Author
Selling fairly traded coffee, tea, chocolate, cocoa and snacks to your community is a way…06 October 2014