Fair trade. Ethically sourced. Organic. Sustainable. You’ve been hearing the buzzwords and want to do right by the small-scale farmers who produce your food. You support caring for our planet. You want to contribute to an independent and transparent food system. Now… how do you get others to understand the issues and take action towards food justice? We’ve collected our best tips so you can be successful at encouraging a switch to Equal Exchange for your coffee hour, office, fundraiser, event and beyond.
How to introduce the idea of fair trade to your group
You can plan a short presentation using a combination of talking points and videos. Having some coffee or chocolate on hand for folks to taste will help them see how delicious the products are, in addition to the good they’re doing in the world! If a presentation sounds too formal, just have a conversation with someone who is a decision-maker in your group or send them some of the info below in an email while explaining why fair trade is important to you.
Brush up on your fair trade knowledge
- Read The History of Authentic Fair Trade Comic Book>>
- The Fair Trade Story, 5 minute video>>
- Fair trade FAQs answered>>
Know the Equal Exchange basics
- “Meet Equal Exchange” 2 minute video>>
- “Why it Matters” talking points >>
- Wholesale case price list >>
- Which Equal Exchange coffee is right for you?>>
Show the positive impact on farmers
- 3 Ways Fair Trade helps Communities, 2 minute video>>
- Hear from a small-scale coffee farmer, 3 minute video >>
- 3 Ways Fair Trade helps Families, 2 minute video >>
Learn from others
Why switch your coffee?
These resources answer common questions and show why Equal Exchange coffee is special.
- Why switch to fair trade, organic coffee?>>
- Coffee Price Comparison Chart>>
- 5 steps to serving fairer coffee>>
- Inside Equal Exchange’s Coffee Quality Lab and Roastery>>
Why does fair trade chocolate matter?
Big name chocolate companies were recently called out in the Washington Post for unethical sourcing and child slave labor in the chocolate industry. Be sure you’re not supporting injustices you don’t believe in.
If you still have questions, contact our Massachusetts-based customer service team at 774-776-7366, 9-5 Monday-Friday for personalized assistance.