Fair trade. Ethically sourced. Organic. Sustainable. You’ve been hearing the buzzwords and want to do right by the small-scale farmers who produce your food. You support caring for our planet. You want to contribute to an independent and transparent food system. Now… how do you get others to understand the issues and take action towards food justice?
We’ve collected our best tips so you can be successful at encouraging a switch to Equal Exchange for your coffee hour, office, fundraiser, event and beyond.
Introduce the idea to your group
You can plan a short presentation using a combination of talking points and videos. Having some coffee or chocolate on hand for folks to taste will help them see how delicious the products are while they learn about the mission behind them.
If a presentation sounds too formal, just have a conversation with someone who is a decision-maker in your group or send them some of the info below in an email while explaining why fair trade is important to you.
Brush up on your fair trade knowledge
- Read The History of Authentic Fair Trade Comic Book>>
- The Fair Trade Story, 5m video>>
- Fair trade FAQs answered>>
Know the Equal Exchange basics
- “Meet Equal Exchange” 2 minute video>>
- “Why it Matters” talking points about fair trade and Equal Exchange’s worker-owned cooperative model >>
- Wholesale case price list >>
Show the impact on farmers
- Fair trade helps communities, 2m video>>
- Hear from a small-scale coffee farmer, 3m video >>
- Fair trade helps families, 2m video >>
Learn from others
- Testimonials from Equal Exchange customers>>
- How to propose a new fair trade program to your group 3m video>>
Why switch your coffee?
Show why Equal Exchange coffee is special and still affordable.
- Why switch to fair trade, organic coffee?>>
- Which Equal Exchange coffee is right for you?>>
- Inside Equal Exchange’s Coffee Quality Lab and Roastery>>
Why does fair trade chocolate matter?
Big name chocolate companies were recently called out in the Washington Post for unethical sourcing and child slave labor in the chocolate industry. Be sure you’re not supporting injustices you don’t believe in.
Questions not answered here?
Contact our Massachusetts-based customer service team at 774-776-7366.
About The Author
Buying clubs are a powerful way for people to support authentic fair trade. For the…15 August 2019